Monday 10 June 2013

MMOs I've played.



 Been on a game hiatus for a few months now, but soon we are going to come out from hibernation. More on that later. :)
This will be a list of the games i've played, so it might give you some ideas on what to play if you're looking for a game.

Like most girls in Singapore, I started out with Maplestory when it boomed with popularity. It was cute, it was colourful and it was fun, whats not to like?

I first saw my brother playing it and I wanted to try it too. That got me hooked. But since we only had one computer at home that time and dad was very strict, he wouldnt let us use it unless it was for school AND i had to take turns with my brother for use.

I came right home from school to play, and even skipped out on outings with my volleyball mates to play, and whenever day has the night shift we would be very happy because brother would play till midnight then i would play from then to 6am when he's back. Thats how bad the addiction was. MAYBE it wouldnt be so bad an addiction if it was so restricted, you know?

I played a Bandit, but I guess it was a mistake because it was pretty hard to level, whats more I played alone. I was stuck at 70+ for the longest time when some hardcore gamers were already Zakum-ing. So then i decided to give up on it. Its become a lot easier now I heard.


Cabal SEA was the next game I touched. I still recall me & Zh first saw the poster in Cineleisure's lift, and he was like "Hey, lets play that together!" I was kind of nonchalant but I agreed.

And yeah bad mistake, we were SO HOOKED we sometimes played hooky and went to his house and played all day. Now I think about it, I dont regret it though. Nowadays we probably cant play a game for a whole day like this one, so I guess it did achieve its objective.


We had a pretty awesome guild, I would say arguably the best in this SEA server. Zh was the leader and he was very skilled in PVP. Other top players wanted to challenge him and other top guilds wanted to battle ours.
That was probably our best guild in any game. We were so chummy we talk all day, and we even had a guild meetup. It was just a few of us but it was fun.

After that we stopped playing because we reached end-game content by then.

We started having 2 other friends to play games with, and we tried out a slew of private servers. Ragnarok Online, Lineage 2, Maplestory, Cabal, Rohan, Pandora Saga etc.



Lineage 2. Nothing much i can say. Played in a day, quit in a day,



 Only on a private server I can do this.











Only in a private server.



Rohan Online. Crazy hard levelling.


Then came the game that changed my life of MMORPGs. What else but World of Warcraft.
Ok we didnt play on the real server but a private called MagicWOW. There was another one but not so good.



There was a very nice guild we joined, and they brought us newbs to Sunwell Plateau. My first taste of epic loot. I have never played an MMO with raid system before and I loved it so much. Im not a person for PVP, so i prefer PVE. Whats more, killing bosses in packs is very fun.


If you dont like PVP, read this:
Me neither, but there was a point where the battleground gears were buggy and many were exploiting it. Zh got his and I was kind of whining how I cant get it because I suck so bad at PVP. So he helped me get the gear. After that I tried Warsong Gulch on my own because I was bored, and yeah I was addicted.

Its not a 1 vs 1 but a game of capture-your-enemy's-flag-and-kill-each-other-on-the-way. I had luck with a Paladin, the bubbles and stuns are very useful. It was such an adrenaline rush when you gank the opponent and watch his HP dwindle and die and then..*sry creepy mode*
In the end I wasnt playing to earn the points, I was playing because I liked it.

I have said this before "WOW is the only game to make me like PVP." True story.



Many different mounts, 'nuff said.


Big WOW kiss-ass paragraph ahead.

I dont care if people say WOW sucks now, its still the bestest game by leagues. You cant please everyone but there are some that appreciate it.
Even after my friends stopped playing, I went to pug raids at Naxx etc myself. I got nothing sometimes but it was still fun. I tried out a lot of classes and that was where I felt like healing was my forte. Before all this I played dps and it wasnt as...fun i'd say.
I would go pick flowers and go mining. I would also go exploring the maps in order to reveal the names on it, even with my priest I wasnt scared because they werent as squishy as in other games. (What a revelation that was) I did all the professions and sold stuff at the Auction House. I would stalk Wowhead and look at stuff i can collect, like kittens and essences.

Oh man now i realise I sound like a huge nerd. But you get the idea how all-rounded this game is.

We kind of took a break from PC gaming and went to PS3 gaming. Then we heard about Diablo 3.
I didnt follow the D3 franchise but apparently my friends said D2 was good, but that was like 10 years ago or something! Even Neopets was good for me!

Well anyway, it is a highly anticipated game in making. Finally coming out so we went to queue for the box. It is a different MMO for me because you dont get to see other people unless they come in your game. So its like a big room with many small cubicles. I felt iffy about this game somehow because its so 'dark'. No bright green valleys or open areas..


Basically, there are four worlds you go through, then you kill Diablo, after you're done you go onto a harder stage of said four worlds, rinse and repeat.

Dont know about you but I think 10 years went down the drain.



Ooh look, chickens.
It provided me entertainment for a while but you cant really play with friends all that much. Max is a group of four. Sometimes Zh wouldnt want to play with me because once a player enters your game it makes it harder. So that made me sad. Not much to be said about exploring or raiding or PVP or gathering stuff obviously.

ALSO let me input that there was a glaring gap in classes. I CANT EVEN. Melee classes can tank a little but arent as strong as ranged. Ranged classes can one hit kill enemies but ALSO get one hit killed themselves.
I cant even..well maybe they fixed it now.

Then we heard about Guild Wars 2.



 GW2 is a very beautiful game. Also on the anticipation table. Well, mostly on Zh's side of the table. -_- If you want anyone to persuade you of something, its him.


 Gameplay is said to be different from other MMOs in which there is no KS but group effort, changing weapons changes skill set etc.




It didnt really appeal to me but others have found it awesome. It felt crazy difficult to do a dungeon quest because even normal mobs are tough to kill. Weapons abysmal looking. Low level ones looked ugly and even at higher level there werent much choices. If you value aesthetics then you will be disappointed. Only the legendary weapons were different looking but they might take you a looooong time to make if you play alone.



Thats one bigass player.


Along the way to max level, our friend introduced us to these group raids. They follow a chain of events around a map, and doing events gain experience faster. You can just follow them around and get some hits in. Thats what we did, rinse & repeat, for the next few levels.

I also tried Fractals of the Mists (FOTM), but you can only go by level. So I had to start with a level one group, then 2, and i was lucky to find a group doing level 3. But no one seemed to by doing level 4, so I couldnt continue. This and also because there were no fixed roles, there wasnt a specific healing class and no one needed healing, I lost interest.



Christmas time in GW2.

Surprisingly, most of Zh's friends wanted to play Ragnarok Online 2, since they didnt want to play RO.



Super cute monsters too.
It was quite a fun game but the grinding was GRUELLING. Day after day I spammed quests in every zone, and then you do kafra/khara quests as well. But most of the times they wont appear at the same time of your quests so you would have to rekill the same mobs again. I finished all my quests a few levels before max, so i had to grind.


Clothing for priests were ugly though.


Group Raids were very fun, if we didnt wipe out. This one requires a lot of teamwork because of some blasts and timebombs, we had to coordinate who heals who and who activates AOE etc. Kind of stopped because there wasnt anything left to do except go for raids at night.

Meanwhile, Zh was at his table doing research again, being "RO1 was the best game in my childhood, lets go back its free now!" Well i always get dragged into these things.

We played Ragnarok Online before on a private server. RebirthRO and FeelRo if i recall. Private servers are more fun because of all the custom items and hairstyles and dyes. Plus you can kill bosses yourself.

Its easier to level now, ZH said last time it was crazy difficult. I swear korean developers are insane. (ie Maplestory)
Now there are mission quests from the Eden Group, which make it easier for you to level. From level 70 onwards you can go to a special map with fast spawns in a group and gain experience quickly. The quest is the one that gives good experience, not the kills. A good way is to get the 2X experience activated so you get double the experience when you turn in.
Snipers are heavily important in these maps because their AOEs are more effective than mages.


Also, getting married in game is also a korean niche.



 Although Zh claims that he can play this game forever, we stopped after 2 months. I am already used to his pre-game enthusiasm and I take it with a pinch of salt.

Nowadays he is raving about Final Fantasy A Realm Reborn. We have preordered the game on Greenman Gaming, and waiting for August to roll around. Meanwhile, he is fervently showing me developer videos and rattling information about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment